Egeskov castleEgeskov is one of the best preserved castles from the Renaissance period. Egeskov castle rises in the southern part of the Denmark island of Funen. His story begins in the 14th century and in 1554 with its layout goes Frands Brokenhuus.
During the civil war in Denmark, known as the enmity of the Counts (1534 - 1536), the nobility began to strengthen their homes.
Egeskov Castle was built in a small lake on a beautiful oak logs. According to legend the construction of the castle Egeskov was cut over oak wood, hence its name - translated as Egeskov oak forest.
Initial access to the castle Egeskov carried out by drawbridge. Egeskov castle itself consists of two long buildings, connected by a thick double wall in which are hidden well, secret passages and stairways. This allowed its defenders lost if one part of the castle Egeskov to continue his defense on the other.
The castle was built indoor plumbing, and here for the first time in Europe are used for vertical shafts waste.
About 49 acres of land around the castle is occupied by a beautiful park, consisting of several gardens - Bulgaria, Water, Herb, Vegetable and Agriculture, and also one of the largest gardens in Europe, where he found 104 different species.
There are 4 garden maze in the castle Egeskov, the latest of which is the world's largest bamboo labyrinth whose center is built tower in Chinese style. The oldest is aged even hundreds of years.
The park also has-foot sundial, which was designed by Piet Hein.
Today Egeskov castle houses several museums where you can see a collection of cars and motorcycles, as well as vehicles and special purpose aircraft. One of the museum is dedicated to the history of agriculture.
From 1784 Egeskov castle is owned by a family Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille. Most of it is accessible to visitors, only exception is the part that is used by its owners.